Source Water Projects
The Aquifer Preservation Subdistrict of The Miami Conservancy District helps communities develop or implement source water protection plans and encourages projects that protect groundwater.
Communities within the Aquifer Preservation Subdistrict of The Miami Conservancy District (see map) are eligible for funding. Eligible projects implement practices that are designed and installed to protect the Buried Valley Aquifer and minimize its contamination.
Funds or technical assistance may be available to help develop source water protection plans. These plans will follow Ohio EPA guidelines. More information on how to develop a plan.
Funds may also be available to implement projects that are outlined in a previously completed and Ohio EPA-endorsed Source Water Protection Plan, or Comprehensive Plan, or Ohio DNR-endorsed Watershed Action Plan. Examples of projects include, but are not limited to:
- Implement Green Infrastructure practices.
- Revise land use regulations (zoning or codes) to protect source water areas and/or allow low impact development practices.
- Emergency planning and response.
- Inspection programs.
- Groundwater monitoring systems.
- Investigations to determine the extent of existing groundwater contamination within or adjacent to source water protection area.
- Inventories of hazardous chemicals.
- Spill prevention technologies.
- Remove abandoned sources of contamination.
Priority will be given to projects that:
- Show measurable results such as number of acres protected, amount of groundwater remediation, size of area inventoried or monitored.
- Can be conducted in close proximity to an aquifer production area.
- Protect land inside a Source Water Protection Area.
- Protect areas in close proximity to a well field’s time of travel boundaries.
- Protect large areas of land in close proximity to the Buried Valley Aquifer.
- Functions over a long period of time.
For more information about the source water projects contact:
Sarah Hippensteel Hall, Manager of Watershed Partnerships
email@example.com or (937) 223-1271.